Lincoln Green

Our research into high rise living and social housing led to a pilot project in Lincoln Green and Burmantofts. Our decision to work in Lincoln Green and Burmantofts was based on our previous experience of working in the area with residents and organisations including Touchstone and Burmantofts Senior Action. This developed into conversations with other organisations working on arts projects in high rise buildings, such as Zest, who helped us to connect with the Communities team in Leeds City Council.

We had lots of positive conversations around how we could facilitate art activities that would be beneficial to communities in the area and how these linked to existing schemes and priorities. We decided to work with Touchstone as they were able to provide a space and support with the project. They were also familiar with the residents and some of the barriers to participation which helped us to connect with local people and promote the project. Before starting the project we went on a small photowalk in the area to collect images for our introductory workshop and to learn more about Lincoln Green.

Our aim was to facilitate workshops with communities to enable them to develop their artistic skills and produce high-quality artwork for exhibition. The work focused on an exploration of the area through photography, collage, and printmaking, and the finished project was an artist newspaper. The project was supported by Leeds Inspired and Arts Council England as part of the Index Festival, the official fringe of Yorkshire Sculpture International. Through connecting with Index, we were able to showcase the work of the residents as part of an international festival and to engage a wider audience with the cultural life of the city.

Introduction to the project

Our first session at Touchstone involved meeting with participants from Burmantofts, Lincoln Green and the surrounding areas. We began by introducing ourselves and the project as a whole, describing what we planned to do during the sessions, and learning more about what the participants wanted to achieve in their work. Following this, we invited the participants to share their stories, memories and connection to the area. Using our previous research, photography of the area, and other materials, the participants created a range of collages, getting to know each other along the way.

Digital images

Week two began with an introduction to social documentary photography. The group were introduced to a number of different photographs and asked to consider how they were composed and how this determined particular readings. They were then instructed on different techniques they could use to create their own photographs. Armed with this knowledge, we went on a photo walk around the area. Participants led the way and took photographs of the local architecture, play areas, businesses and signage using a variety of cameras, including disposables, iPads, phones, and DSLRs. We then returned to the workshop space to look at the digital photos and to explore digital manipulation using a photo editing app.

Cyanotypes, negatives and collage

The focus of week three was cyanotypes. The participants were able to use negatives, created from film photograph in photoshop, to make cyanotype images using pre treated paper. Everyone loved the end results and while we were waiting for the cyanotypes to expose they used the left over negatives to create some more collages with some interesting results. We also had a chance to natter over coffee whilst tucking into some delicious strawberries.

Monoprint

Participants selected black and white images from the digital and film photography and use them as a starting point for mono print images. A few of the participants had not used this medium before and they were delighted with the different results.

We used quick print to create the designs

Repeat Pattern Design

Week 5 particpants created simple images using photography of the area as a starting point.

once the participants had created a simple image they cut up the pieces and stuck them back together to create the template for a repeat pattern adding more drawings to complete the design

We then scanned the images and put them back together using a photograph editor.

Curating the Newspaper

Week 6 curating the newspaper involved getting all the participants together to select images and quotes that would be included in the final print.

Once the final images had been selected we discussed how participants so the images coming together and our involvement in developing those images into the final print.

This project has given me a different outlook and opened up a more creative side in me. I’ve started to look at images in a different way. I met different people, from different backgrounds with different experiences. I’ve learned a lot about the character of the area through art and photography. I’m looking forward to the final result of the project, getting to create a newspaper.